Welcome to Audit and Advisory Services

Welcome to Audit and Advisory Services online where our goal is to serve you, the campus community, by “Bridging the Gap” between you and the accomplishment of UC Berkeley’s mission through excellence in governance, risk management, and control. We hope that as you navigate our web site you will find bridges to answer questions about who we are, how we can serve you, and what resources are available to facilitate your success. We encourage you to visit our web site often as we will continually update information, including “Bridging the Gap” sessions; guidelines for internal control; best practices and risk mitigation procedures; control self-assessment toolsThe Bridge newsletter; and other material that we believe will be valuable to UC Berkeley management, faculty, staff, and students.

Wanda Lynn Riley,  Chief Audit Executive

Need Help?

Ask the Auditor

Grant Fund Hopscotch

Q: The compliance briefing referred to "grant fund hopscotch," describing an employee working on a project that is not directly related to the grant for which they were being paid to do research. Does the term "grant fund hopscotch" apply to a situation where an employee spends 90% of their time researching their grant, but spends the other 10% of their time doing administrative work and teaching work that is only partially related to the grant they are supposed to be researching. In this scenario, the teaching and administrative work is being done for a supervisor not assigned to the grant in question. The two people are members of the same university research center, but the supervisor in question most likely does not have any access to the grant on which the other person is working.

Bridging the Gap

Audit and Advisory Services is grateful to the over 200 members of the campus community who have taken time to attend at least one of our Bridging the Gap sessions this year. Thank you for helping make the series a success!

Planning our FY 2014-2015 sessions is in progress. However, please hold the below dates and times. All sessions will be held in 150 University Hall.

September 18, 2014 (10:30am-12:00pm): "Ask the Auditor"
October 16, 2014 (10:30am-12:00pm)
November 4, 2014 (1:00-2:30pm)
December 10, 2014 (3:00-4:30pm)
January 14, 2015 (3:00-4:30pm)
February 12, 2015 (3:00-4:30pm)
March 18, 2015 (3:00-4:30pm)
April 8, 2015 (3:00-4:30pm)
May 20, 2015 (3:00-4:30pm
June 10, 2015 (3:00-4:30pm)

The purpose of the "Bridging the Gap" series is to allow UC Berkeley thought leadership, faculty, and staff to excel together by providing a forum to discuss emerging and hot button issues, foster an open exchange, and inform decision makers.